I brought these muffins into work for my coworkers.
They all enjoyed the flavor, but they did say that they were a little dry.
The original recipe makes full-size muffins. I made mini muffins. So that might be why they came out dry.
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat white flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar (I used beet)
- 2 1/2 TBS poppy seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest of 3 medium lemons
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (plus a bit more) room temperature non-dairy milk* (I used unsweetened cashew)
- 1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (=3 lemons)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4 TBS coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure almond extract (or vanilla)
- Preheat oven to 425F and grease muffin pan with coconut oil, set aside.
- In a large bowl add both flours, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. Use whisk to combine.
- In a large glass measuring cup add 1 TBS apple cider vinegar, then add milk until you have 2/3 cup liquid. Next add juice from lemons until you reach 1 full cup of liquid. (Three medium lemons yielded about 1/3 cup of juice.)
- Pour wet ingredients into large bowl of dry ingredients, then add egg, melted coconut oil, and almond extract. Gently stir until just combined, try not to overmix. Batter will be thick.
- Evenly disperse batter into greased muffin pan, filling about 2/3 way full. (I use a standard cookie scoop for ease.)
- Bake muffins at 425F for 5 minutes, then drop oven temperature down to 375F, and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes. Check middle of muffins with a toothpick, which should come out with little to no crumbs when done. Remove muffins from pan after 5 minutes, then allow to cool on wire rack completely. Store muffins in container at room temperature up to 5 days.
Serving Size: 1
COPYCAT RECIPE FROM: